Tuesday 28 February 2017

The decade that style forgot - oh no I wasn't born in the 80s

The theme this month on The Monthly Stitch was to make something from or inspired by the decade of your birth.  I know it will seem hard to believe but I was born in the 1970s, it's official I'm vintage.

I have to say I have never felt the need to revisit the 70s (let alone the 80s, been there done that, still having the nightmares) as I was only nine years old by the time the 80s rolled around, so I had very little say in what I worn in the 70s.  I remember a lot of polyester and nylon, I think I must have had a static charge for the whole decade, so I was a little stumped as to what to make, then I remembered Clothkits.


I wore a lot of Clothkits clothes in the 70s that my Mum made for me, I think it is where my love of sewing started.  I bought a vintage Clothkits Maxi skirt from Ebay a couple of years ago and it has sat not being sewn since then.  When Jennifer Lauren released the Ivy Pinafore last year, it made me think of this Clothkits kit sitting in my stash, and so the Clothkits Ivy was born.


It's not that easy to see but there is a navy printed pattern along the bottom of the hem, printed corduroy (or cotton for that matter) was a trademark of Clothkits.  I'm wearing the pinafore here with the Jennifer Lauren Gable Top.

This is a short swing dress and I have to remember not to bend over or I will be flashing my nickers.  Getting pictures in February is not that easy, this is how I was dressed for the rest of the walk.

Bonnie was not that impressed I was faffing about having my picture taken, not fussing her.



0 comments: