Friday 1 May 2015

Me Made May '15 - Day One

 
So Me Made May is here once more and I am determined to actually document my participation this year, so that I actually feel like I am participating.  It will also be the first year I will be having my photo taken wearing my glasses, maybe I can hide behind them?
 
So here is the first offering...
 
The Simmons Dress
 
This is the Simmons Dress, which I made in December, for The Monthly Stitch challenge but never got around to posting (this will probably be a recurring theme in the coming month).  The fabric I actually bought especially for this project from Backstitch, because I didn't have anything suitable in my stash, they are both really stable Ponte Roma knits, which were a pleasure to sew up.  This is a picture of the inspiration garment... 

The inspiration garment
When this challenge cam up, I just had to pick Jemma Simmons as my inspiration because firstly I am a huge Joss Whedon fan and secondly the actress who plays Jemma is from Sheffield (when I live).  As we were taking these photos, Fluffrick commented that I should have saved this dress to wear on Sunday, as that is when we plan to go to Avengers: Age of Ultron.  I'll have to see If I have anything else Marvel appropriate.

The pattern is a mash up between Tilly and the Buttons Coco and Deer and Doe free t-shirt pattern Plantain.  The body is from Coco and the yoke and sleeves from Plantain, with the neckline raised several inches and the addition of a self drafted collar.  I am not quite sure about the length of the sleeves (I am my own worst critic), because I am cost conscious I only bought 1/2 metre of the spot fabric, so the sleeves are a tad short for my liking, but I can live with it.

This is only the second time I have worn this dress even though I really like it.  One of the main reasons for this is below...

Why I don't wear black
I don't expect to get through the day without being covered in cream fur.  I know it is a staple in many wardrobes but, I very rarely wear black, I would much rather wear colour.
 
So one day down, 30 more outfits to be worn and enjoyed.

0 comments: