Sunday 25 September 2011

25 September 2011 - 3 Months until Christmas

Any trip into a Supermarket these days will be a trip into a Christmas Grotto. Tins of Quality Streets, Mince Pies and Panettone already festoon the aisles. Is it just me or is all this just a little bit crazy?

Okay, I am coming at this from a slightly different angle than the norm. This will be the third year in our household where we haven't done Christmas - No tree, no decorations, no cards, no gifts, no stress. I will be cooking a special lunch, but as it will probably be for only 3 or maybe 4 of us, it won't be very stressful either.

This all makes perfect sense to me, I'm an Atheist, so why should I be celebrating Christmas?

It is a course of action I strongly recommend. Imagine not having to battle through stupidly busy shops to buy presents for people because you feel you have to, not because you particularly want to. And possibly most pertinent these days, there is no crippling debt in the new year.

I would much rather give a present to someone "just because".

0 comments: